BMW Motorrad USA is excited to introduce to the Adventure riding community a totally new concept in on-board luggage and personal storage. Intended primarily for use when riding GS motorcycles off-road, the Atacama Adventure Luggage System provides more flexibility when piloting expert level back-country trails or continuing the expedition off the bike to a remote camping spot. This luggage system utilizes the same case carrier system for the proven Original BMW aluminum cases and together with the Atacama luggage now allow the rider an un-compromising choice of the perfect system based on the riding conditions and security requirements, further expanding the capabilities of the GS.
The Atacama Adventure Luggage System consists of the Atacama Side Panniers and Atacama Duffel. The side panniers require the purchase of an additional adapter kit by model for installation. A unique feature of the side pannier system is the frame and wedge that provide a solid mounting to the motorcycle and easy removal and installation without the need for straps and constant adjustment. The Atacama Duffel serves as a top case and convertible hiking backpack. Cinch straps (included) are used to attach to the motorcycle luggage rack.
Functional advantages over competitor off-road soft luggage
- Wedge and plate mounting system – Unlike traditional soft luggage systems that use straps to mount, these mount solid to a wedge mounting system made from injection molded glass-filled nylon (designed to withstand severe wear and impact) for one click on/off mounting and removal from bike, just like a hard bag which attaches to the BMW case mountings. The benefit is no movement and an easy on and off application. These soft bags won’t bounce around in rough terrain like old-school “over the seat” softbags and strap-based connection systems.
- Offset pannier sizes – 25L for the exhaust size and 35L for the non-exhaust side – allows for symmetrical positioning on the bike, while maximizing overall carrying capacity.
- Bag Compression – Soft bags need to have the ability to compress to the load that is packed in them to maintain maximum efficiency when riding loaded. The roll top, vertical and horizontal compression straps on these bags allow for compression at all axis. 4 side compression straps, 1 bottom compression strap, and 1 large top compression strap, plus a roll-top closure, for superior compression/expansion capabilities.
- 100% Waterproof Main Compartments – 22oz vinyl inner liners are radio frequency seam welded for maximum efficiency and 100% waterproof.
Atacama Side Pannier Kit
- Main Inner compartment (25L or 35L) includes separately removable waterproof vinyl liners.
- 2 side stuff pockets (approximately) 5L each
- Beaver Tail, quick stash pocket and bag side protection
- MOLLE system loops
- Mesh pocket under the Beaver Tail
- Carry handle
- Pannier Frame (slides onto wedge mounted on the motorcycle)
- Attachment clip to wedge plate
Features and Design:
- Beaver Tail – Quickly stash an extra jacket or rain liner, shoes, trash from camp, etc. behind this panel. It also provides even load compression and abrasion/crash protection, and can be peeled back from the bag for easy sewing-machine repairs. On the inside of the beaver tail there is a hidden stash pocket for spare key, paperwork, etc.
- Sewn in side pockets – Designed specifically to hold tools, tubes/tire repair, tire levers, air pump, water filter, snacks; things you need quick access to throughout the day without digging through your pannier. On the larger 35L bag, each pocket fits two 2L fuel bottles or a 2-3L water storage bag. On the smaller 25L pannier, each bag fits one 1L fuel bottle or a water bottle.
- MOLLE Attachments –enables the quick attachment/removal of MOLLE compatible accessories such as hydration bladders, extra storage bags, holders, etc.
- Aluminum D-Rings – Attach additional items with clips.
- Waterproof Inner Liners – These bags are completely separate which allows you to remove them. Maybe you need an extra bag for something you are temporarily carrying, maybe the main bags has been soiled in something you don’t want in your tent, etc.
- Model-specific BMW adapters allows riders to keep their hard bags, then use their soft bags on the exact same racks when they’re going on more off-road and dirt-oriented trips. That way they won’t damage their hard bags when riding in very rough terrain.
- Liner on the inside – Keep outside elements away from the most important part of the bags, it also protects the most important part. If a tip over happens, the outer shell, stiffener and beaver tail provide a protective layer for the main waterproof compartment/liner.
- Outer shell - keeps all contents dry and allows all the features and accessory items like the beaver tail, MOLLE, additional pockets etc. to be sewn on the outside shell without compromising the waterproof liner.
- Internal front and rear stiffeners help the bag hold its shape even under a heavy load.
- Outer surfaces made from 22oz PVC material for easy washing, extra water resistance, and abrasion resistance.
- Side panels and roll tops made from 1680 D Ballistic Nylon material.
- High quality extruded aluminum pucks, zinc-coated steel mounting hardware, and powder coated mounting latches.
- Front compression G-hooks and D-rings are made from T6061 aluminum with no moving parts, so they won’t break in a crash.
Model Specific Adapter Plates and Hardware
Adapter plates are required to mount the wedge plate on the exhaust side of the motorcycle aluminum case carriers. For the K7X models the adapter kit includes plates for both sides.
K5X Adapter Kit:
K25 Adapter Kit:
K7X Adapter Kit:
- Main Inner compartment (40L) includes separately removable waterproof vinyl liner and opening from both sides.
- 2L Hydration pouch or stash pocket
- Dual Beaver Tail, quick stash pocket and bag protection
- Carry Handles
- Mesh pocket under the Beaver Tail
- Tent pole pocket
- Clear map or documents pocket under the Beaver Tail
- Convertible backpack straps with chest strap (fit in pocket when not in use.
- Includes 2 cinch straps for attachment, not shown.
Features and Design
- Duffel consists of two separate bags:
- A sewn seam outer bag made from highly abrasion resistant material
- A welded-seam 100% waterproof inner bag made from 22oz vinyl. This enables reliable waterproofing even after multiple bike drops or off-road slides. The outer bag is designed to absorb the abrasion and impact leaving the inner waterproof bag intact.
- Dual overlapping beaver tails feature a unique through-strap mounting system, making it an ideal spot to tuck items throughout the day without having to get inside the bag. For example, a place to store a wet rainfly if it rains while you’re camping. The overlapping beaver tails feature a zippered mesh pocket on one side, a removable clear map pocket on the other, and they’re a convenient storage spot for your cinch-strap tails as well.
- Double-ended roll top for easy access throughout the day without having to unstrap the duffel from the bike. With traditional top-opening duffels you have to undo the connection straps in order to open the bag.
- Quick-stash backpack straps, an internal frame, and a padded back panel for easy carrying when the duffel is off the bike. Put the duffel on your back, carry a pannier in each hand, and transport all your luggage at once. The duffel also works great as a carry-on or checked luggage, perfect for fly-to-ride trips. A central briefcase handle and a carry handle at each end of the bag.
- Large top pocket accommodates a 2L hydration bladder and has a hydra-port for the hose. An internal mesh pocket that’s useful for wallet, phone, etc.
- External tent pole pocket enables you to pack your tent poles separate from the main body of the tent, making field packing easier.
- With side compression straps, two roll tops, and a double overlapping beaver tail, the duffel can be expanded and compressed significantly to accommodate different load volumes.
- Top panel made from 22oz vinyl material for easy washing, excellent abrasion resistance, and extra water resistance.
- Overlapping beaver tails made from 1680D Ballistic Nylon for extreme abrasion/impact resistance.
- 4 T6061 aluminum corner D-rings and a front daisy-chain for quick attachment of straps and accessories.
- K25 (2004-2013 R 1200 GS/GS Adventure with BMW aluminum case mounting installed)
- K50/51 (2013-Present R 1200 GS/GS Adventure with BMW aluminum case mounting installed)
- K72 (2008-Present F 650/700/800 GS with BMW aluminum case mounting installed)
- K75 (2014-Present F 800 GS Adventure)